Contact us

Protecting our precious places

Kaipara - Paparoa Pa Site

Mystery surrounds the dozens of Maori food pits and fortification trenches dug on a Paparoa hill top well before Captain Cook first circumnavigated New Zealand in 1769. Who inhabited this particular pa site remains a mystery.

In 1989, the Pow and Roach families formally protected the area with QEII National Trust covenants.

The site of the pa, now shrouded by native bush, is well preserved and easily accessible. 

The walkway (pink lines on the image below)

The Paparoa Lions Club have developed an easy walk through the bush and pa site remains.

The walk first crosses private land. Please stay on the track and do not disturb farm animals that may be grazing in the area.

  • Easy first stage crosses private land and leads to the foot of the pite site (20 mins)
  • From here cross a bridge  to enter the main bush area. The track climbs at a moderate grade up to the pa site (20 mins)
  • Take the loop track option from here, or venture further to take the boardwalk option through mangroves, coming out on Pahi Road (15 mins). From here you return along Pahi Road then Paparoa Valley Road to get back to the carpark (30 mins)

Good footwear recommended. The track can be slippery if wet.

Location

The walkway entrance is located on SH12 just south of Paparoa township, in Kaipara, Northland. 

Acknowledgement

The walkway is voluntarily maintained by the Lions Club of Paparoa. 

MoST Content Management V3.0.6241